Thursday, July 3, 2008

#398 ... Right time ... Right place

Left work a bit earlier last night ... about 4:30pm to do the supermarket shopping ... a wet evening ... with muted light ... get outside and WOW ... the sky was painted with an amazing rainbow ... a well defined arc ... unfortuantely the wide angle lens was not wide enough to catch the whole rainbow ... maybe some professional had the gear to capture the moment.

Anyway I took a range of shots, outside the New World supermarket in Thorndon (just across the road from work) and selected this one because... when I loaded them onto the home PC ... I could pick out the second rainbow and the reflection on the wet ground of the carpark. The carpark lighting against a darkening sky, added to the effect.

The night sky on the drive home was dramatic as well ... maybe a daily photo for tomorrow.

7 comments:

Victor said...

WOW is right! Congrats on getting this one. Right place, right time for sure but you've got to have your camera with you and you did! Great snag.

Cheers.

Eki said...

This is trully a natural wonder! Great picture.

Do you often have a rainbow like this in Wellington?

Anonymous said...

Just terrific! And it is so well defined. I know little about rainbows - for starters I did not know they had a second arc. The reflection is marvellous.

It is interesting to find out why we choose the shot to upload out of the many that we take. Sometimes that decision can take a while. I would like to see the ones that got away!

Knoxville Girl said...

Isn't it wonderful when an ordinary errand turns into something extraordinary like this? I actually like seeing only part of the arc, with the reflection instead. Fabulous.

Greg Dimitriadis said...

My turn to say WOW! I don't think I've seen a better rainbow photo. Excellent!

Jane Hards Photography said...

One of the best rainbows shots I've seen on the dailies. It is better with the arc and it's reflection, a hole new perspective. This really is an fantastic shot.

Maria Verivaki said...

cool cool cool
- from an ex-wellingtonian living in hania, crete, greece